I needed an excuse to sit and watch football this weekend. Fractured Fragmments needs a label so I made it my football project. This time I took a photo at every decision point so you can see how I draw out these labels.
I'm not pretending that I do Zentangle correctly, I just do it my way. You will see the color in these photos change. I took them in my lap as I finished each step so they were taken under different lighting conditions. In reality the label is drawn with a black Pigma pen on white copy paper.
I start in Powerpoint or Word creating the text for the label. I print that on paper, draw on it and then I'll photocopy the label to fabric. I wanted this label to relate to the quilt so I drew out the map using the spike and triangle elements from the quilt.
Just start somewhere!
Adding background but there's not enough contrast.
Yes! It's a good start.
That weaving took a while.
The seeds of an idea.
I want the 2 side bits to be dark.
Started the top and realized that I didn't like the angle of the top feather. But I've done too much to redraw the whole label.
So I cut the offending part out and taped a new piece of paper in there. It only has to hold together good enough to be put on the copier so cutting the bad part out works fine.
Better but boring.
Now I like it.
I started the last section and realized at this point that I was doing something different from what I planned. It worked out just fine.
It probably takes longer to make the label than to make the binding but I really enjoy making these and will continue to label my quilts with these until I get bored with it.