I did it! I actually completed my January Take It Further Challenge! I admit that about a week ago I was having some doubts and regrets about signing up for this. I wrote about my initial thoughts and inspirations on this project here. My thoughts for a piece to properly honor my Grandmother turned into something that I couldn't complete in time. I plan to come back to that later but wanted to get something done for the January project. It was then that I started looking for my sketchbook. I couldn't find it anywhere so that meant that my project should BE a sketchbook.
Here it is and it does still include some references to my Grandmother but primarily uses the color palette of the TIF challenge. The base is a silk dupioni. The purple lace is a piece of lace curtain that hung in my Grandmother's house. I've had these for years and have wanted to do something with them. I love the floral motif in the lace. I painted a section purple and fused it to the base with Mistyfuse. I used ric-rac to trim the sketchbook to keep within the '50's - 60's time frame.
The buttons for the closure could have actually come from her button bag which I "inherited". There's a large mother of pearl with a green flower Bakelite button on top. They are attached with embroidery floss.
The book is trimmed with a satin stitch in the light green and the edged with dark purple baby ric-rac.
The pages are 7.5" x 9.5" and by using binder rings I can replace or add pages whenever I need. I added 3 book marks made from ric-rac with large mother of pearl beads attached. The pocket on the inside front cover is made from an orphan block from my Great-Grandmother's quilt box. I folded it in half, added ric-rac trim to the top and stitched pockets between the blocks. The first sheet in the book is a pocket page to hold sheets of tracing paper.
Now I am ready for Sharon to issue the February challenge - I have a sketchbook to work in!