The other sewing that I've been doing is working on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for February. usually I take these projects to Friday and Saturday sewing with the Country School Quilters. Since I had a cold last weekend I decided to stay home and spare them the germs. I didn't sew on these continuously Friday and Saturday but I have worked on them a bit every day and now February is done!
My two projects are all about using up some bins of charm squares. One is batik and one is 30's repros. Both quilts are for twin bedspreads for the guest house. This is the block I'm making with the batik charms. My goal is to have enough blocks done in October to make the quilts. For the batik quilt that means 35 blocks each month. Ideally I will put the tops together in November and December......we will see how that goes!
I am sure that there are going to be a few months where I don't have the named color. That was true this month with the 30's prints. I had very few aqua fabrics so I went with green. I have plenty of green charms left whenever we have a green month. For this quilt I need to make 15 blocks each month and you can see that I was really loose with my color assignment for the geese in these blocks.
These blocks are foundation pieced and there are lots of scraps left over. You know I hate throwing out scraps and I've found a home for all of the bits from this one.
My friend, Betsy, loves sewing tiny things so she's taking all of my triangle cut offs.
The best scrap solution has come from my friend, Peg. A neighbor of hers makes archery targets and loves fabric bits! Now I'm saving every cutoff and bit that's tool small for anything else. I'm surprised at how quickly this bag is filling up.
I finished up by cutting more background triangles so I'll all ready for next month and these projects can be out away for a few weeks.