About 5 years ago my friends Terri, Sue and Kathy made this quilt for me as a surprise for my 50th birthday. I still remember opening the box and being completely shocked and overwhelmed by their thoughtfulness and generosity. I love this quilt. It's a great lap quilt for TV watching. It probably gets washed once or twice a year and there's never been a problem until this week.
I think that by now you know that I have a theory that pre-washing fabric isn't enough. My testing shows that fabric needs exposure for a length of time for all of the loose dye to release. I've had this happen with a quilt before. For a while it's fine and then I wash it once more and some fabric bleeds. This is why I soak my fabrics. Pre-washing really isn't enough. The loose dye might not release in a wash but it will eventually release with more exposure to water.
So I soaked the quilt in hot water with Dawn. Within 3 hours it looked like all of the red dye had released but I had to leave for a class so I left it overnight. I'm glad I did. The water was very dark in the morning! Now all of the dye has finally released.
Fortunately all of the bleeding came out of the white areas!
Yay! Just like new.
In other news I finished quilting this quilt. Time for some binding.