I mentioned that yesterday I had come to a stop with my Zombie Ball quilt so my plan for today was to start on my "Wendy table runner". First I decided to do my hour of quilting.
The veterans quilts are done so it was time to start Mom's quilts.
I got the backing for the first quilt squared and stapled to the zippered leaders and the back, batting and top loaded.
That took about 45 minutes. Then I spent at least 10 minutes thinking about thread choices. I tried every gray thread that I had but couldn't get excited about having gray in the borders. Eventually I decided to go with black. I'm not sure how it will look and I know it's risky. We'll see how it goes today.
In the last 5 minutes I got the bobbins wound so I'm ready to start quilting today.
After I did my 1 hour of quilting I decided to start on the Wendy project. But I walked into my sewing room and realized that I didn't have room to have one more project out. Everything was a mess and it was made worse by my search for these:
I was looking for these the other day and couldn't find them! I tried to tell myself not to worry about it. They would show up eventually but it was really bugging me.
So I changed plans and took the afternoon to shovel out the sewing room a bit. I should have taken some before photos so you could really appreciate my accomplishment. Take my word for it. It was horrible. The cutting table was covered. The ironing table was covered and my big sewing table was covered. Every surface was covered with CRAP (Creative Resources and Projects). Some of that CRAP was real crap too.
Why do I keep stuff like this? I have a crummy magnetic pin keep that I never use, a water bottle from an iron I trashed over 5 years ago and an empty cone of thread. This is real crap that does nothing but collect dust and I bet all 3 items have been here and moved around and collecting dust for at least 3 years.
I rid the sewing room of that and a whole bag of real crap. The CRAP is a little better organized.
And I found the zentangle cards! They were in a pile on the floor that I dumpled there to make room on the cutting table a few weeks ago. The are now safely put where they should have been in the first place.
My big sewing table is clean except for the little fan. I bought 7 of these little fans from Wal-Mart for about $7 each. I have them all over the house for those times when the house gets suddenly hot.
Every surface here was piled with stuff.
I got most of my hand dyed fabric put in the cabinet. This fabric doesn't fit but at least it's finally stacked neatly. The baskets are my store "to do" items.
This area was piled with my own hand dyed fabric, mostly color samples. It was completely unruly. Now it has these baskets with projects that I want to do. It would be nice if I could keep this as a system. Maybe it would help me control starting too many new projects.
You know that I have trouble tossing out scrap bits. That's what's in these 2 bins. I'm going to try to limit my scrap bit collections to what will fit here. I really did toss out 2 piles of bits! The other pile are my non-shop to do items. Hope to keep that pile short too.
Now the ironing surface is completely empty, the other sewing area (with the Brother machine) is set up with my sun print placemats and the cutting table only has my current 2 projects on it.
I still need to go through these cabinets but I'll save that for another day. I don't need to get into these cabinets for a while so I can just ignore them for now.
Something else good came out of this exercise.
I identified a pile of things that meed to find new homes so that means that it's time for another giveaway week! Keep an eye out for a Fall Festival Giveaway week in October! I'll have more about this next week.
Today I'm going to a football game at the local college but this evening and tomorrow I'll be working on my Wendy project. Hopefully my new Paula fabric will be here by Tuesday so I can get back to working on that one too.