Since I shared the mosaic wall yesterday, today I’ll catch you up on Lura’s Choice. I did all of this Thursday. Yesterday was errands day and today I’m teaching the new owner’s class at Virginia Longarm. Tomorrow I should have the whole day to myself.
The lighting didn’t work out so well but I think you can see most of the quilting on these. I have 7 of 35 blocks done so I’m 1/5 done on the blocks. I’m probably about 1/15th done for the whole quilt!
If I were to post honest photos of what’s going on around here all you would see are a bunch of trees surrounded in mulch. I’ve spread at least 10 truckloads and have only one left. I don’t mind doing it because it’s great exercise and it’s a good break from my normal exercise routine but my wrist is really sore from all the raking so I’m glad to have only one truckload left to do and I won’t bore you with photos.
Yesterday after mulch duty I had my weekly dyeing day and afterward I had time to get one more block quilted before I ran out of energy.
I really disliked this block after I pieced it but those pebbles really woke it up!
Here’s the back.
Today I’m going to spend some more serious time with this quilt.
I also realized that I need to find another quick project if I want to have a finish for May. Clearly this quilt isn’t going to get done! Having the UFO list is great. I want a little sewing project and having the list encourages me to pull something off the list rather than starting something new.
I picked placemats for my May quick finish. Theses are some fabrics that I monoprinted and screen printed probably 3 years ago. I have 8 pieces of fabric, 4 in light pink and 4 in dark. I also have a few scraps of the 2 pinks and I pulled a coordinating green. I’m not sure what I’ll do yet and I may only get 4 placemats but I think they will be fun to work on and I’ll have something else done!
I finished the SID on the green sashing and made myself start on the sampler blocks. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m not trying to win awards with this quilt. I’m just trying to finish it AND practice custom quilting. I’ve decided to use MonoPoly thread on the blocks because I’m not up for 500 thread changes. I’m going to follow the shibori when I can and use pebbles for filler. In this one I extended the shobori lines into the plain yellow triangles. I think I might need to add some pebbles in the center too but at least I started so now I’ll continue on and quilt the other blocks.
Meanwhile in the gardens the other 2 iris varieties have bloomed. I’m taking photos of the groups when they bloom. All of them have at least 3 blooms on a stalk and the overall display is really pretty. Now that I know what’s what I might move some things around thsi fall.
Welcome to all new visitors from Barbara Brackman's blog! You can read all about me and my bloghere. I hope you'll stay and visit for a while.
Thanks to the rainy weekend weather the Grandmother's Choice shibori top is done! I shared the symmetry version last week. I had originally planned to make only one quilt for this project but couldn't decide if I wanted a symmetry quilt or a hand dyed quilt using shibori fabrics. I had been wanting to make a large symmetry quilt but also wanted to make a traditional quilt using shibori fabrics to show how they fabrics could be used in non-art quilts. In the end I decided to do both and I'm glad I did.
This quilt will finish about 71 x 85. It's a little bigger than I wanted but the quilt needs to be what it needs to be. Ultimately it will be a quilt for one of the twin beds in the guest house. I think it's going to be more of a bed spread!
The difficulty with this quilt was coming up with a setting and the colors to use to tie the quilt together. I had made the blocks with absolutely no color theme. The setting idea came from my blog friend and longarm quilter, Cheryl Kotecki. She hasn't shown her quilt yet bet I've seen the layout because she asked me to dye the fabric for it. Keep an eye on her blog to see her quilt reveal in the next few weeks. It's spectacular. She also used this project to tell the history of her own family and each weekly post has been very interesting. She's going to have a great quilt and a great story when the project is done.
The lime green sashing in my quilt is my favorite element. The binding will be line green too. That sashing is 1/2" finished. The alternate blocks are, of course, 8" finished and the pink element is 1.5" wide. I made extra large blocks and used my 8.5" square rumer to cut them to size. I used a 4 step version of my Sea and Sky gradient for the borders and dyed yardage in the 4 shades for the alternate blocks. That half inch sashing was a little tricky to work with but was worth it.
Now I have to figure out how to quilt both of them.