It always takes me a couple of days to get back in gear after vacation and this time it took even longer. We got home lat Friday about 1:00 in the morning. The only things I accomplished Friday was laundry and a doctor’s appointment. Saturday we battled the I95 traffic to DC to attend a graduation party. It took forever to get there but was worth it to catch up with friends that we don’t see often enough.
Sunday I worked on the bear paw prints section of the wall and then something caught up with me Monday. I was tired all day and took a long (and rare) mid-day nap. I don’t know if it was winding down from vacation or coming home from beautiful weather to oppressive heat and humidity. I kept trying to motivate myself to quilt but couldn’t bring myself to do it.
Then I found the mending pile. I could tackle some of that. Being short, I have to hem almost everything I buy so I started with easy hemming on some linen pants. Then I noticed that Chris’ favorite shirt had a couple of small holes so I patched them. I love that my sewing machine has the darning stitch. From a foot away you can hardly see the patch. Not that he would care. This shirt belonged to his best friend who passed away 6 years ago. Chris wears it all the time and I’m just trying to keep it together as long as possible.
It wasn’t interesting sewing but it got me in front of the sewing machine for a couple of hours.
Then Monday I decided to finally tackle this blouse. I fell in love with it at Free People but the sleeves were too long as always. No problem. I can sew so I can fix it.
Have you ever tried to alter something made of gauze? Holy crap on a cracker. I thought I was going to go blind! Each seam is actually 4 seams! It took about 4 hours just to do the unsewing.
But I did it and now they are 2 inches shorter with 4 seams, just like the original.
The stitching on this was interesting. First there was straight stitch. I used it mostly to baste the layers together to make sure that the gauze layers were caught in the seam. Then I did the 4-thread serged seam. The last seam is sort of a fake felled seam. I hope I can describe this right.
From the inside the seam allowance is folded back on the garment so that he seam is the “edge”. Then it’s stitched about 1/8” from the edge. I figured out that this was to strengthen the edge by catching 4 layers of the gauze. This will help prevent stress on the seams and ripping the fabric at the seam line. Very clever.
The mending pile is now gone so it’s back to quilting.