I learned how to make fabric postcards in 2006 and loved the small format. I was paralyzed whenever I tried to make anything resembling an art quilt but this small format really worked for me. I joined some swap groups where we had a theme and created a design based on that theme. We would make and mail enough cards for everyone in the group. It was a perfect exercise to help me learn to create differently.
I loved the size, format and the challenge of coming up with a 4 x 6 design. In 2007 I started sending birthday postcards to friends and made my first Christmas cards. I think that first year I made less than 40 cards. Now, in my 8th year, I make over 70 and still have to edit the recipient list each year. I try to send them to people who I know will appreciate them. There are a few family members I used to send them too but have never heard a word about them so they don't get them anymore. The same with a few friends. Some people have to come off the list because we might need to send a few more pressing notes of thanks for that year. That happened this year because we needed to send some special thank you cards for Chris’ business.
I find myself thinking about these cards all year. When I try a new technique I wonder if I can practice that technique by making a Christmas postcard design.
That’s how these came about.
Some friends and I took a letterpress class at Visual Arts last winter. I made over 100 note cards and then I found this die in one of the drawers in the classroom. I went home and pulled out a bunch of my “waste” fabrics, backed it with freezer paper and printed almost 30 of these in the next class.
These were really quite simple to make. The hard part was the printing to get the ink and pressure just right for a good print. To finish I found a purple fabric that matched the ink color. I cut out the center and fused it over the printed fabric. I stitched around the center with Superior Glitter thread and a simple machine blanket stitch.
But nothing make a postcards like the right edging. For this one I had purple thread to match the fabric. I did one in all purple thread and it was kind of dull. I replaced the needle thread with the Glitter thread and that made them perfect! The final touch was to replace the stars in the “M” and “C” with crystals. I love how they turned out and made 26 of them.