Yesterday I shared this photo of the quilt kits that I cut from my stash. I had a couple of questions so I thought that today I'd give you some details about the number of blocks and projected size of quilts.
Here are the details on the kits. Almost all of them are just fat quarters but for a couple I used some yardage to cut half of the pieces.
I cut 5 tumbler kits. These 2 are for Peg for quilts for the local women's shelter. I pulled every red/green/tan floral and some coordinating textures for one set and purple/green/cream/pink for the others. I even found some fabric that can be used for the binding.
I pull a set of fat quarters and cut as many tumblers as I can. Then I cut the rest in to 2.5" strips, 3.5 x 6.5 rectangles and 3.5" squares. That little pile in the back is all that's left. I think that's a pretty acceptable amount of waste from close to 30 fat quarters.
Here are a few of the blocks on the design wall. You can see that the 2 blocks on the left are partial blocks. When I cut a fat quarter strip there's usually enough for more than a half of a block. I'll cut a few of those to be end pieces. When the quilt is sewn together there are bits that are trimmed off the sides so these partial blocks can be used there for less waste.
For the women's shelter kits I made enough tumblers to put 13 blocks in 12 rows for quilts that will be about 59 x 72. I cut 2 more kits for my Mom in this size to make for her local girl's home.
Here's the other kit with spare parts and waste.
Becky is teaching a young neighbor to quilt so I made a veteran's kit for her. I had one batik star print and some leftover gradient yardage. I cut enough tumblers to arrange this 11 across in 10 rows for a quilt that's about 48 x 60.
Then I was sick of cutting tumblers and switched to the HST die.
When I prep the fabrics for HST blocks I make sure I feed them through the die paired up right sides together so they are ready to sew. This kit has a blue hand dyed (left over backing) paired with an assortment of red/orange/yellow commercial fabrics for a kit for Mom's local boy's home. You can see one set peeled open with the right sides together, ready for sewing. There was enough of the blue for the binding. I cut enough HST pairs for 10 blocks in 12 rows for a quilt that will be about 60 x 72.
I pretty much cut as many as I can with the fabric that I have. This quilt will be also be for the boy's home and is dark and light browns and tans. I had enough for 11 blocks in 13 rows for a quilt that will be about 66 x 78.
Here are some of the fabrics in another set of fat quarters. I decided to simply cut these into 6.5" squares set 10 blocks in 12 rows for a finished size of 60 x 72.
I'll give these leftovers to someone too. There's a nice collection of 2.5" strips and 2 stacks of large rectangles and a few 3.5" squares.
You would be surprised as how quickly all of these came together. I ironed all of the fabrics (and starched most of them) and did all of the cutting in about 2 half-day sessions!
As soon as I find someone who might want more kits I'll get back to cutting more of them.