Well since the label is done I could no longer postpone actually washing the quilt. I haven’t wanted to do this but it needs doing. If colors are going to run I don’t want it to happen to my brother.
Of course I used my own tested process that you can read all about here. But the basics are this:
- Long soak in very hot water. A lot of water not a HE washing machine or sink. This exercise needs a big tub. The more water the better.
- Use enough Dawn dish detergent to get a good suds going. Dawn is better than Synthrapol, I know because I tested it.
- Make sure every inch of the quilt is under water
- Leave at least 8 hours
- If the water is dark after 8 hours put it through another soak
- Don’t use Color Catchers or Dye Magnets, they are fun but useless.
The water is hot, I added enough Dawn to get a good suds. Deep breath. Add the quilt and start agitating it. This would be a good time to wear thick rubber gloves. The water should be hot enough to be uncomfortable.
Well, there it is. Let’s hope for the best. I agitated it with my hands for about 10 minutes.
Covered with bin lids and weighted down with containers of water. This ensures that every inch remains below water. Yesterday morning the water was pink so I know that several red patches bled. It wasn’t dark enough to warrant another soak so I drained the tub and filled it twice more with cold water to rinse it. Then I carefully lifted it into a plastic bin and carefully loaded it in the washing machine arranging it around the outer edge of the tub. Then I ran it through a spin cycle to get out the excess water.
Here it is spread out on my sewing room floor to dry. Not one speck of color bled! Yay! The drying process also got the humidity level up to a comfortable lever in the house too. Time to get the label on this weekend and take some final beauty shots next week so I can call it really done.
What a relief!