Well, that was exciting!
We thought we were going to have 6 – 8 inches but there was a blizzard band in the storm that came right over Montpelier. We had white out conditions for about 4 hours and an additional 10 inches.
Chris was in his element and while I don’t really love snow dyeing I made the most of it.
Snow dyeing is messy, wastes dye and is very time consuming but you can’t argue with the unique results that you get with snow or ice dyeing. So I had to do it.
Members if a dye group that I belong to have been doing lots of snow dyeing lately and I’ve been following their experiments. One thing they talk about is whether the dye is put on the snow or on the fabric (under the snow). So I started with that.
These two samples were folded identically and I used the same dyes in the same proportions and in the same positions. The one on the right had the dye placed right on the fabric. The one on the left was on the snow.
That’s a big difference but I like both for different applications.
What I don’t like are the dye dots on the direct application fabric. But I liked both enough to continue with more of both.
I did some with dye on top of the snow and some with the dye under the snow.
Here are those same pieces with the snow almost totally melted. Those pieces plus several more are soaking now.
This morning I prepared more pieces for dyeing.
Because I’m awash in raw materials for this process.