Six more veterans quilts are quilted and that means that there are 4 left. There’s really 5 left but I quilt them in pairs and I don’t have one to pair with the last one on a gold backing so it will wait. After I finish the last 4 I’ll probably be done for a while to work on a couple of my own quilts. After I finish the next 4 that will be 20 for this batch and that will be enough for now. I know that Terry is quilting 6 and I think she had 5 before that so there are plenty for the next delivery.
Here are the 6 I trimmed up last night.
The big dotty black border in this one just begged for some stars.
This is one where I didn’t think through the quilting path all the way. I was going for the wavy lines across the diagonal piecing lines of each block. I quilted the first (outside row of blocks before realizing that the travel path wouldn’t work out. Well, I have a rule that I do not rip out quilting on charity quilts unless there’s a huge tension issue.
So I did the parallel diagonal lines all around the edges like a border and stippled the rest. Not the best quilting but I think it worked out OK.
Quilts with borders automatically get an overall design. these quilts need to get done and I can’t add 2 hours to deal with borders separately. So for this one I tried a change to the ribbon stipple by adding a loop.
The first pas is the stipple with a loop. The second pass adds the deeper stipple line. I quite like this and will use it again.
I decided to go for some CC on this one. The little hooks are there because there was no way to travel and add a pod. The pod is 3 lines (out, back, out). The hook is 2 lines (out and back) and that’s what I needed to be able to keep traveling.
The person who pieced this did a really clever job in my opinion. It’s a great combination of a panel and some orphan blocks.
The ribbon stipple was a great treatment for this one.
We are going to have a ton of quilts in this colorway. Someone generously donated hundreds of yards of this beautiful Barbara Brackman repro line. It’s perfect for masculine quilts.
I used the blocks as a guideline for a squiggle zig zag across the width of the quilt.
It quilts up fast and I love the texture.
The next one is already loaded and ready to go. I’d love to get these quilted this weekend but I’m supposed to be teaching Friday and Saturday unless the storm cancels class. I don’t think it’s supposed to be bad here but several of the students are coming from the north and that probably won’t work out.