58 x 68
I put the last stitches in the hanging sleeve Sunday. It's amazing how long I can procrastinate on hand stitching binding, labels and hanging sleeves. But it's done now and I'm happy.
This quilt is made from the leftovers from a king sized Fractured quilt that I made for a friend. When I started playing with the leftovers my intention was to maybe make a baby quilt and thought I'd not go further with it than this. At some point I looked at the pile of scrap fabrics and challenged myself to use all of them. Piecing this quilt was so much fun. Some steps were really challenging from a design perspective and that was very good for me.
The center section started with the leftover pieces from the Fractured quilt. The fabrics are half hand dyed and half commercial.
Piecing was only half the fun. Quilting this one took about 2 months ( because I only quilt for about an hour every day) and every minute was pure joy. I did all ruler work in the purple areas and free motion fillers in the yellow areas. All of the free-motion designs came from Leah Day's book, 365 Free Motion Filler Designs. I actually kept a list of the designs that I used and now I've lost the list! But there are at least 40 different fillers in the quilt. Here are too many photos as proof.
The backing is hand dyed light purple and the label is printed with a Zentangle design. I detailed how I created this label here.
Chris likes this quilt too so we decided to hang it in the bedroom. I was concerned that the purple and yellow would not look good on the orange wall but we both love it. The bathroom is dark purple so it kind of "goes". It's a happy quilt to wake up to every morning.
Today I'm linking up at Freemotion by the River.