While Laura was here and we were screen printing I took the opportunity to prints some of my waste strips of dyed fabric to get some postcard blanks ready. I like doing these because I like to make cards in batches and they are a good warm up to my screen printing sessions.
The "waste fabric" pieces are about 6 - 7" strips of muslin that I use in dyeing my gradient yardage. They absorb the excess liquid and get dyed in some beautiful patterns and colors. If I happen to ruin one with my screen printing I don't have any problem tossing it out.
Most of these required an additional step so it took a while to get them to this stage. Bur after a little work yesterday I can finally share the next sets of postcards that I'm going to make.
This one I have left with the 2 screen print images.I did a partial screened image if the mesh for a background and then did the yellow flowers on top. I was considering the orientation on the card so these flowers will be off center and probably partially off the edge of the cards.
My screen print images look so much better since I bought the opaque inks!
This image didn't turn out as I envisioned. The pink ink just wasn't light enough. I know that the flower will be cut off on the card. The middle image is how it looked before I started playing with it. On the right I tried some Decolourant in the middle section of the flower. The Decolourant doesn't work as well on turquoise dyed fabric as it does on other fabrics. It faded some of the color out but it worked better on images where the background was pink or purple. On the left side I got some Tsukineko inks to color in the middle section. That worked pretty good. I've decided not to toss these out. I want to see if I can save them with some stitching.
The third set that I made were on fabric that has turquoise and orange. I screened these images with a bronze metallic ink. I did a few others with black. I decided that they needed some color added in the pods. I used Decolourant Plus. This is a really cool product. You paint it on and after it's dry you can steam press it. It bleaches the fabric under the paint so and leaves behind the color of the paint.
I had mixed results and I think that's for 2 reasons. First, I was using turquoise dyed fabric. Second, my paints are old. They were give to me by a friend and I am guessing that they are a few years old. On this one none of the fabric bleached out but it looks fine from the front with the paint color that I used.
This one bleached perfectly. The fabric underneath is now white and there's paint on the right side.
I have lots of colors of Decolourant Plus so I tried several of them. I think that with some added stitching I can make something of these.
Now I'm ready! I got out my bolts of Stiffy interfacing and Mistyfuse. I fused a couple of yards of Stiffy and then cut it all up into postcard blanks. I got these 4 sets of cards fused and ready for some stitching.
I've got to get busy because I need a lot of birthday cards in July.