Yesterday Laura and I took time off to do some screen printing. I should have been working on my class but, oh well, visitors must be entertained! We did lots of screen printing and I'll eventually get everything photographed but today I just want to share a couple of things we did to combine screens.
I wanted a little bird in front of some foliage. I thought about printing the foliage in a transparent ink and then printing the bird over it in opaque but that still would have not looked right. I had to mask the foliage image if I wanted it just right.
I placed the foliage screen on top of the bird screen and moved it around until I had everything lined up the way I wanted it. The easiest thing to do would have to masked off everything below the bird image. But I didn't want it to appear as if the foliage was coming out of the bird's back so I felt I needed some stems below the bird. I used bits of masking take to cover everything that would be within the edges of the bird image.
Note! Be careful with the painter's tape. I did ruin one screen when the screen material came off with the painter's tape. It was an old and much-used screen so I think it was a little tired for this type of treatment. Thanks to Elizabeth (see the comments) for pointing out that the tape goes on the rough side of the screen.
Then I screened the foliage image. I like using a couple of shades of a paint (medium and dark greens) to give the image more texture.
I let that dry for about 30 minutes and then cam back with the bird screen, aligned it and printed it. Of course it's a little more difficult to align the screen for subsequent images because the screen is now covered with paint. Just pay attention to the edges of the first image. You shouldn's see them through the printing mesh of the second image (the bird). For this print I payed attention to the three stems at the bottom and where they lined up with the bird's feet.
Both of these screen are from Terri Stegmiller. I did about 10 of these images and will make postcards with them.
Laura printed these placemats and napkins. The leaf cluster on the large yellow flower was done the same way. She used this screen from Terri and taped off everything except one leaf cluster.
Today Laura is going to do more screen printing but I'm going to be working on my class.....after my final (I hope) visit to the dentist for a while. I'm linking up with Freemotion By The River.