Well, Typepad had another day of problems so I'm late posting. More importantly, no appliances failed today! I'm considering the day a complete success.
Today I'm finally reporting on the kitchen floorcloths. These things took FOREVER. Hopefully they will last forever too because I'll never make decoupaged fabric floorcloths again......as long as I refer to this post before I try to start a new project. But if I ever mention it I would greatly appreciate one of you commenting to remind me not to do it.
Even though they were a total PITA to make, they do look a lot better than the rag rugs that I've been using here since we moved in. I'd still be using rag rugs if they hadn't gotten too expensive to treat as disposable. I used to be able to get 2 long runners and a small rug for less than $150.
Not anymore. So I had to make my own rugs that can be mopped because I am always splattering my fruit smoothly on the floor.
The two runners are 9 feet long and this small one in front of the fridge (just waiting for the new one to come tomorrow). I used EQ to design them so it was easy check the measurements and to dye the right amount of fabric.
Here's the problem with them. They are bubbly and the shiny polyurethane finish really shows it off. We (Chris) tried doing them with a matte finish but it was a water-based finish and it never cured enough not to show water spots. Ultimately he had to cover them with 2 layers of poly. With 4 payers of ModPodge, 3 layers of the latte finish and 2 of poly they should be pretty indestructible.
I think the root fo the problem is the book that I used for instructions. It has instructions for preparing the fabric, preparing the canvas, designing the pattern and finishing the floorcloth. The instructions for applying the fabric to the canvas is "decoupage the fabric to the canvas". I was way too far into the process before I finally figured out the best decoupage technique. There's nothing about technique or troubleshooting for the most important step int he whole process.
I think I should have done some internet research. I'm sure I could have gotten better instructions there. I think this book is crap. I'm sorry to be so mean about it but my friend, Laura, was helping me with these and we both felt the same way. She made some floorcloths herself and got her instructions off the internet.
All that said, I di like them and they are a huge improvement on the previous rugs. I'm also really happy with the fabrics that I dyed. They match the backsplash tile perfectly.
OMG. I just realized that I basically have an avocado green and harvest gold kitchen!
I might need to remodel.