I finally got the photos taken from my screen printing day last weekend. Some blog posts take a long time to come to fruition simply because I'm too lazy to take and edit the photos. Or I'm too busy with dentists and appliances. That's why this post is a week late. But it's not as if the photos will go bad!
When I do my dyeing I often use the peftover dyes for shirts and other things. I realized that I had a pretty big stack of shirts that needed something. Coincidentally I was itching for a screen printing session. A perfect afternoon was born. There were winners and losers and I'll share both.
These are 3 short sleeved shirts. I think they all J Jill pima tees. They take dyes beautifully. On the gray one I screened a text pattern in silver and then added the skull in dark blue. The skull screen is from Lynn Krawczyk. I dont' see it in her shop but I bet she would do it for you. The large sunflower on the middle shire is also from Lynn and the feather on the brown shirt is from Terri Stegmiller. I didn't get enough contrast with the blue shirt but it actually looks better in person than in this photo. It will be fine for my purposes.
This screen is from Susan Price. These are 3 flowers from a set of 4 on a tshirt that I dyed as a gradient from turquoise to purple. The one on the left is a little blurry and that my fault. It's not a problem with the screen.
It was with these 2 shirts that I finally figured out why I'm often unhappy with my screen printing. Most of the inks I have are trasnparent (the shirt on the left). The effect I want is opaque like the shirt on the right. There's a place for both but I never really paid attention to what I had.
These are sleep shirts and I've used several of Terri's screens on these. Of course I didn't realize until I looked at this photo that on the blue shirt I have one bird sniffing the butt of the other bird. Nice.
I think this would have actually looked pretty cool with the foliage in transparent ink and the bird in opaque. With the bird in opaque it all looks like a big mush.
Speaking of mush. These are 2 old trash tshirts that I started practicing with. I was trying layers and I won't even try to explain it except to say that I learned a lot and the disaster has noting to do with the screens! These will probably become cleaning rags or painting smocks.
I also started a few note cards. Both of these will get some other things added. That blue bird really needs some seed.
I pulled out a few strips of waste fabric to make some fabric postcard blanks too. Both of these screens are from Terri Stegmiller.
Finally, I've been trying out various clothing blanks from Dharma Trading. This is a rayon swing top and capri leggings. This will be comfy for wearing around the house. I have to say that I'm pleased with the quality of the Dharma clothing products. Of course they dye beautifully but they are also made of quality fabric. I've ordered more and will keep them around for leftover dyes.