When I woke this morning I was trying to think about the weekend and whether or not I accomplished anything meaningful until last night. The reason is that I spent a lot of my weekend watching football instead of quilting. But as I replayed the weekend I realized that between kickoffs that I did get a few things accomplished.
The cutting table was relatively clear so I used that opportunity to iron and square up some backs for veteran's quilts. Last year we bought a couple of bolts of white backing fabric. When I have a dyeing session I cut a length and use my excess dyes to create dyed backings. I try to stick with colors that will work on quilts for men but mostly I just use whatever is left over from that session. Each of these backs will make 2 quilts. I load one back and quilt 2 quilts at a time. It saves a lit of time.
(As an aside, I bought this fabric from Marshall Dry Goods. It is sold as PFD wide fabric and I can tell you that it's not PFD at all! That light green should be dark emerald based on the amount of dye I'm using. The mauve should be dark maroon. I tried contacting MDG twice about the problem and was ignored both times. I decided to go ahead and use it for the veteran's quilts for now but I'll never order anything from them again.)
On Friday I coordinated a Spa Day for Willie at the APQS headquarters on Iowa. He needs a little TLC and maintenance. When he comes back he will be coming with the new Bliss drive system too. I can't wait but I have to pack up the head and ship it to APQS at the beginning of February so I will only do end-to-end quilting for the rest of January. That motivated me to sew together a backing for this QOV quilt and maybe I can get it quilted by the end of the month.
First I have to finish this one. I made some progress this weekend. Only 2 full and 1 partial row left. This one should be done by Thursday.
I did finally do a lot of piecing last night during Downton Abbey. I finished all of the border blocks for Judy's Tell It To The Stars mystery. I can't show those but I can show this nice stack of blocks that I made using scraps for leaders and enders. I cut all of the border pieces wrong at first so had lots of HSTs to sew into blocks. Glad there's extra fabric in the quilt kit!
I got that quilt to a point where I can put it away until Mom visits at the end of the month. We can finish ours up together that weekend.
That means that I can work on Fractured Fragments again! I've put it back up on the design wall this morning and will dump the scraps on the floor and sew tonight during the Auburn/Florida State game. Only a few more weeks of football left and I intend to watch all of it.
Check out what everyone else is doing at Patchwork Times.