Recently Estelle and I realized that summer was coming to an end and we had not done enough sun printing. An emergency TED (Technique Exploration Day) was called last Thursday and it was a perfect hot and sunny day.
I don't have photos of everything we did because I've shared lots of photos in the past of foliage and other sun prints. But this time we worked with a couple of new things.
If you have never tried sun printing I have several posts here to tell you how to do sun printing.
We had to play with the clock gears. Estelle made this space station using the clock gears plus the gears that I harvest from my used asthma inhalers.
As a general rule I HATE faces in art. I don't know why but art depicting people completely creeps me out. (We will not analyze that today but I can tell you I was born that way, it wasn't from some traumatic event.) But I couldn't resist trying to make some faces with the gears and die cut stabilizer. By the way, die cutting Timtex or other sturdy interfacing makes for great sun printing masks. Creating faces was difficult for me because it's something I've never done.
But I did get a few test pieces printed. The sun was a little low in the sky so I got some shadows. These weren't totally successful but I think I'd work with the gears to make faces again sometime.
I had a little more success with stencils! I've been considering my stencils for projects other than painting recently. I used some snowflake stencils on glass pieces and will do more of that.
We have several stencils from The Crafters Workshop that, frankly, are difficult to use with paint. I decided to see how well some of them might work with sun printing.
This is one that I felt sure would work with sun printing. The stencil is 6" square and there's not a ton of stencil so the wicking of the paint worked really well. We were never able to get good sharp lines with paint but sun printing has changed this into a new favorite stencil! I already have a postcard idea for this one and need to do some sun printing using black paint on white. I hope I can do this over the next 2 weeks during breaks from the Paula quilt.
Then I wanted to try it with a denser stencil.
We were both surprised at how well this worked! The stencil is about 5" square and it sun printed great. This one also paints really well too. Now I have an idea for one of my Christmas postcards.