I have put the last stitches in my latest community service quilts. I basically make 2 kinds of service quilts. I make quilts for our local veteran's hospital. That project is coordinated through my quilt club. I also make Quilts of Valor and I send mine to Alycia in Colorado. I try plan my project so that I can work on one of each at a time. In this case I had a lot of fabrics left over from a Patriot fabric palette last year.
Quilt of Valor
63 x 81
If you've been reading my blog for at least a year you will recognize this one. I made one almost identical to it last year for myself. I had actually intended that one to be a QOV but I loved it too much to let it go. Now I have made amends.
I quilted this with the Star Swirl pantograph in a light blue color.
I even have a hand dyed backing.
This next quilt proves that sometimes we are at our most creative when we have limited resources. When I started these project I knew there was enough fabric for 2 quilts but it was an assortment of fabrics. I didn't know if I'd have enough to do what I wanted. I made the QOV top first and then had a look at the leftovers and came up with this.
48 x 60
This one started with the 3 orphan blocks. The turquoise frames and the stripe frame are made from only what was left. The red and blue were the remains of a length of Patriot gradient. I really love this quilt and enjoyed the process of making everything work together.
This quilt will be hung in the Country School Quilter's exhibit next month. There will be a section devoted to veteran's quilts. Because of the exhibit I spent a little more time quilting it. I started with SID. I know that a lot of people don't like SID but I feel like it's really necessary.
In the side panels I did streamers of stars.
Some swirls and ribbons in the 2 borders.
The 3 blocks have nothing in common except for the fabrics used to make them. They were samples that I made that I never intended to be together in 1 quilt. I needed a way to tie them together. I used continuous curve techniques for the quilting and put the ribbon curl in the corners of every block to tie them all together.
Two more quilts done for 2013!