I found these photos on my camera yesterday and realized that I forgot to share them.
Have you heard of gyotaku, or fish printing? Traditionally, of course, it's done with real fish. Anne, who gets me into everything, is fascinated with it and has been wanting to try it for a while.
Instead of printing on real fish she got these rubber fish from Dick Blick a few years ago. I'm grateful for the fake fish. She's had these so long that we forgot where they were. They were at my house in my stamping supplies downstairs. Since we were both going to be at the river a couple of weeks ago we decided that it was time to give it a try.
I am starting to learn my lesson about new crafts and make a lot of small samples before I jump in. I picked the bass fish and pretty much stayed with that one the whole day.
The first challenge with this is figuring out the right ink/paint. For me, this craft ink from Dharma worked great. I don't know if it's a new product or not but it's new to me and I had just bought some to try with stamping. I like it a lot and will be buying more. I thinned it a tiny but with a drop or 2 of water to a small glob of paint. Anne was using Jacquard Lumiere and Setacolor Silk Paints. The Lumiere didn't work great because the metallic part stays stuck to the fish. The Setacolor worked well too.
My practice pieces are all just partial fish imprints and it took me about 15 practice pieces to get something I liked.
The process is pretty simple. Paint on a thin layer of paint.
You have to carefully lay on the fabric and rub it into the paint without the fabric shifting.
Then peel off the fabric and, hopefully, there's something there resembling a fish.
I made 4 big bass prints for myself using the craft ink.These might become placemats some day.
Then I printed this bandana for Anne using Setacolor fluorescent paints. It still needs something else but the prints turned out good.
We had to stop at that point because the wind picked up and cocktail hour was approaching!