I got to spend a couple of hours with Mary Monday and I started hand stitching the facing while we watch a re-run of Project Runway. After that I was motivated to get this finished. I finished the facing Monday night and added the sleeve and label yesterday. Now 2 of the 3 quilts that I need for the September show are done!
Approximately 18" x 36"
This is my entry to the Country School Quilters challenge. All of the challenge entries will be displayed at the CSQ quilt show at the Montpelier Center for the Arts in September. We were give 2 fat quarters and a challenge to make something. There were no other rules. The challenge could be a quilt, a wall hanging, something 3-D....anything. The two fabrics are the light blue and the dark blue/green batik. I screen printed a leaf print on the light blue to make it a little more interesting.
I was stymied by the challenge for a while until I remembered that I needed something to cover the electric box in the guest house. That set the size parameter. Then one day I found these sun prints that I made last year. The colors were perfect.
This detail shot shows pretty much everything I did int he quilting. The sun prints are outlined in Superior Metallic thread and I free-motion stitched 4 leaf images in the border. All of the leaf images are echo quilted. The sashing are all densely straight line quilted. There's lots of filler stitching and curved echo quilting in the border. Aside from the metallic all of the other quilting is done with Superior Bottom Line.
It's finished with a facing. I put a sleeve on it not for hanging but to slide in a board to keep the quilt hanging straight. It's actually hanging with only a plastic ring that I sewed to the top center of the sleeve.
It's permanent home will be right here. I think it looks really nice with the tile in the kitchen corner.
It perfectly hides this!