It's been several months since Estelle and I got together for a TED (technique exploration day). I had a couple of projects that I needed to do and a few new thermofax screens AND we were both free last Friday so we made TED date.
The new screens are from my friend, Terri Stegmiller. I just love all of her work and was very excited to see that she had started producing thermofax screens. She sells them in her Etsy shop. I was first interested in the small ones for postcards and I'll show those to you tomorrow when you will also have an opportunity to win some for yourself!
But, back to Friday. My need to screen print started with a project for Country School Quilters. We were given 2 fat quarters to make anything we want. The projects are due September 1. I finally got an idea for mine but one of the fabrics didn't fit my plan. It's too commercial looking. I thought that if I could print some organic images on it that it would fit in the project better.
I used Stem 5 to print all over it. This fabric will be cut into strips so the individual leaf and stem images will look great.
Then I printed it on a t-shirt and stamped a butterfly for good measure. There's also a butterfly on the back shoulder.
I also have these 3 fabrics that will go into my challenge project. I printed Stem 5 on one and Stem 4 on the other 2. I love using screens to print overlapping images on fabric. These will look great cut into strips.
I couldn't resist the Pods screen and out it on another shirt. This shirt might get more layers another day.
I was all "quantity over quality" while Estelle was "all quality" on Friday. While I was quickly printing my projects she was meticulously creating these 2 images with stencils. I can't wait to see what she does with them.
She printed several of these too using a texture screen for the background and Terri's Stem 4 in red.
We both LOVED Stem 4 and here's my last project with it.
I started with an ugly brown tshirt (that I dyed) and some acid green paint and printed 1 stem.
Then I rotated it to the left and printed a second stem.
Then I pulled out this stencil. I bought it in February and hadn't used it yet. I printed it over the stems and turned them into branches. I mixed some gold metallic paint into the green to give the trunk some depth.
After pondering it for a while I knew it needed something else. I found the "Beads in a Bottle" and added gold berries. Now this ugly tshirt is my new favorite shirt!
Check back tomorrow and we'll discuss screen printed postcards...and a giveaway.