Last weekend I cut a lot of glass and this week I've been doing the kiln work. That's the hardest part for me. Eventually I will learn my kiln and figure out the best programs to use but it's all trial and error.
When fusing glass there are many different kiln programs depending on the results you want and the thickness and size of the glass that you start with. I'm still at the point where I fill the kiln with a variety of stuff and hope for the best. Through that I'm learning which programs work for which things. I feel like I have a pretty good "full fuse" program. This is what you use when you want the different pieces of glass to meld together into one solid sheet. I'm a lot more challenged on slumping; the process of melting the glass enough to form in a mold. I'm on my 3rd slumping program of the week. But I have a few things that are done so I'll share those this week. I have some before and after photos to show you what things looked like before they were fired.
With this little piece I was just doing a little sample to see how a single layer of glass with pieces on top would react to a full fuse schedule. I also used some orange frit because I knew it would react with the turquoise and I wanted to see that.
Here it is fired flat. You can see from the pins how small this sample it. See how the orange frit turned dark red where it touched the turquoise? That's pretty cool. I don't know what I will do with this piece. It could wind up smashed into bits and used in some other piece down the road.
This little dish was put together the way it's "supposed" to be done. I cut the red, white and black pieces and fired them with clear on top. I wanted to see how the edges would do because I didn't cut the black as evenly as I should but it all worked out. This one slumped properly on the second slump firing. You can see it's small and I'm thinking I might use it as a pin keep by one of my sewing machines.
This is a piece of confetti glass that I made a few weeks ago. I cut a 4" square and slumped it to be a little votive holder. I'm playing around with slumping squares to see what size I like best for votive holders. I now know that bigger than 4" is right although this will work great for tealight candles.
I also played around with making some cabachons for jewelry making. I had no idea what to expect. I was just playing. The next 2 photos show what the pieces looked like before firing.
Nothing scientific or exact there!
Here are the results.
I have no idea what happened to the set on the right. They were stacked and fired just like all of the others. But not too shabby overall.
I really like this set a lot.
I have learned enough to know that I got a great kiln at a great price and we all know that it was all good luck. It's larger than average so I can do big pieces and the controller works great. I just have to figure out the best programs for it.