These bits are from 2 sources. The greens and blues are from by Back to Square One quilt and the other fabrics are from my shibori Grandmother's Choice blocks. I think that sewing like this is very relaxing and when I started I had no plans for a project. Once the project was done I started looking around for an idea and other fabrics to combine with them.
I had a lot of these blue strips from some of the BTSO blocks. I used the wrong blue and had to remake them. The light green was the largest chunk of leftover fabric from that same quilt. There wasn't enough of either for a quilt so I started thinking placemats.
I cut 6 backs and batting (old flannel sheet) for placemats. My placemats are cut 13" x 17". I've talked about using flannel sheets in my placemats before but I'll go over it again now. I like flannel sheets because they are already pre-shrunk, they are not as thick as batting and I have LOTS of them so the "batting" is free for me. I will also use flannel sheets for quilt batting for light summer quilts.
Next I had to figure out what I was going to do. I decided that each placemat will be different based on whatever little block or blocks I'm working with and that each little block will be bordered with the blue strips.
Here's an example. I started with this big chunk and decided that this one would hang off the left edge of the placemat.
I started by trimming it so that the edges are straight lines and then added the blue trim on 3 sides. I have the pieced chunk on top of the batting and backing and stitched through all layers. I also made a mistake with this one. That left edge should hang over the batting by at least a half inch to turn to the back to finish the edges. Not to worry, I fixed it with a wide blue strip.
Here's the first placemat with the correcting blue strip and the green background added. The fabric hangs over the edge of the placemant at least 1/2" all the way around. To add the green I cut large chunks and add them in a flip and sew method.
I turned the raw edges to the back and steam pressed them in place.
To finish the edges I did 2 rows of stitching (from the front) around the edge and then trimmed the extra fabric close to the inside stitching. I could have used a twin needled, done a zig zag stitch or a standard binding. I tend to take the easy and quick way out on placemats.
Quilting was the last step. I did ditch stitching around the blue frame and then did parallel stitching around all of the shapes. I used a light thread for the background and a darker thread for the patchwork shapes.
I made 6 placemats because that's how much fabric I had! It was a great exercise to work with each placemat separately and work out 6 different layouts and I think it was a good use of fabric that was probably headed for the trash bin.