If you've been around the blog a while you know that I am obsessive about creating hand dyed fabrics that are completely colorfast. I've written about my process here and here. This process, as you will see, also works on commercial fabric.
My theory is that at some point the fabric will "burp" out the excess or unstable dye and I want that to happen before I sew it into a quilt. Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well with my Flora's Fans quilts.
This quilt is made with vintage feedsack fabrics and I am sure that they had all been washed manytimes. I know that this large blue print had been washed because it was already quite faded.
I used this quilt on the guest bed while I was sick over Christmas. Once I recovered I tossed it in the washing machine to get the germs off of it.
Two of the blue fabrics ran like crazy!
The funny thing is that I've already washed this quilt once before and didn't have any problem with colors fading or running.
After I saw this I put it right back in the washing machine and used my soaking process on it. I used very hot water and placed dishes over the quilt to make sure all of the quilt was under water. Then I left it to the next day.
All of the white fabrics are all white again.
YOu can see that the blues are quite faded now from their original color.
They burped and they feel much better. I don't expect to have any more problems with this quilt.
I am also OK with the blues being faded. This quilt is mroe of a "blanket" than a quilt and it will be just as snuggly now as it was during my cold.