If you are relatively new to this blog you may not have realized that I have a lot of free projects and tutorials on the blog. They are all listed on the Free Projects page on the header bar above. One of the projects is a quilt pattern for a quilt that my friend, Anne, and I developed. It's called The Gift Quilt and we designed it for those times when we need something quick and easy for a gift. It's a great graduation gift, sofa quilt or cuddle quilt and it's perfect for a set of fat quarters. I mention it because Robin recently finished a Gift Quilt for her husband. You can see it on her blog. I think her husband will love it!
As to my own design wall there's actually something ON it!
All of that prep work that I did for the Dancing Stars quilt has really paid off. These blocks are going together quickly. I am constructing it 11 blocks at a time and each set of 11 represents one gradient lighter than the previous 11. It's hard to see in this photo but the 2 top rows are a tiny bit lighter than the bottom 2 rows. You will see that better when I finish the next 2 rows.
The next 2 rows are coming along well. Here's my set up by the machine and I hope I can get through all of the piecing before I have to move all of this to do something else. After I finish this set I will start putting some of the diagonal rows together so that I don't lose track of my blocks.
I don't have a photo of the longarm today. I finished quilting Mom's quilt and will share some photos tomorrow. I have loaded another quilt but haven't decided yet if I am going to share the progress on it. I think I want it to be a surprise for the recipient. I may change my mind by next week.
But the big news of the week is that the electrician came this week to hook up the electrical outlet for the kiln. I made up a few pieces just to have something to test. My first try at firing didn't work at all and I was worried that I had wasted a lot of money on something that would end up in the dump. Of course, that's the risk with used things. But the kiln came with 2 sets of instructions and the next day I tried the "other" instructions and it worked! I was so relieved and was excited to go to the basement this morning to see these.
The jewelry pieces turned out crap....as I expected. But the other 2 look pretty good. They will still need to be slumped on molds before they are finished but at least I'm in business now. I can't wait to get some more things ready for firing.
Today, though, is "business" day when I do the work stuff and I'm motivated to get done early so I can play with some glass. While I'm working check out whate veryone else is doing over at Patchwork Times.
Don't forget to enter both giveaways from last week. The Thankful Thursday giveaway is for some hand dyed fabric scraps and the Friday giveaway is from some great stencils designed by Terri Stegmiller.