When I was longarm shopping I went to 3 different shows over 2 years to test drive them and I talked to a lot of owners. One thing I asked every owner was about maintenance and repairs. Consistently I heard from APQS owners that they almost ever have to do any maintenance and when they do, they can do it themselves.
They were right. I've had Willie since the week before Katrina hit and I rarely have to do anything to it and, so far, I have done every adjustment or repair myself. Yesterday was a case in point.
I've been working on Kim's quilt and noticed that when I take a single stitch (like to bring the bobbin thread up) that often the thread would catch something under the quilt and I'd wind up breaking the thread or bringing up several loops. If finally got on my nerves enough to try to investigate it.
A quick look in the maintenance manual suggested that the cause may be that I needed to adjust the mag collar (whatever that is).
Every page of the maintenance manual has very detailed photos like these. I removed my sole plate and, sure enough, when I did a single stitch my bobbin case looked like the one it the top right photo......in other words, wrong.
Ten minutes later I had the back cover off and was making an adjustment to the mag collar (it has a magnet in it).
Ten more minutes and Willie was back together and I was back to cross-hatching and stitching perfectly again. I should finish all of the cross-hatching today because I am totally engrossed in an audiobook and will quilt as long as the book lasts. With the cross-hatching done I will be half done with the quilting on this one and so far I am loving it......even if it is pink.