I know I've talked about this 20 times at least, but in case there's someone new here I'm going to give the background again.
My quilt group, Country School Quilters, along with other local Richmond Quilt Guild Chapters and quilt groups provide quilts to the local veteran's hospital for Christmas. We make them throughout the year and the our coordinator gets them all together in time for delivery. This year we have invited the coordinator from the veteran's hospital to our holiday party to see all of the quilts together. That is my way of explaining the mad rush to get as many of them finished as possible and why I quilted 5 of them this weekend: 2 for Estelle and 3 for me. In return Estelle put the binding on mine and here they are almost ready to be delivered. I just have to sew on the labels during the football game tonight.
These quilts represent a great group effort for a wonderful cause. These quilts are smaller than the quilts usually given for Quilts of Valor but are sized just right for hospital beds.
This quilt top was made by my friend, Patty. She was making several of these tops out of scraps and had a stack of fabrics that she called "dull" left over. Not being shy, I emailed her and told her if she wanted to get rid of the dull fabrics that I'd be thrilled to have a top for the veteran's hospital. I swear I think it was in my mailbox in 3 days! That woman produces!
I had intended to dye a backing but found this fun navy polka dot in my backing stash and thought it was perfect. It made a nice binding too! All of these quilts are pantograph quilted. I used the Square Spiral on this one and Woodgrain on the others. I have since ordered 3 new quick and easy pantographs because I'm really, really sick of woodgrain and have been wanting to get a few new ones for Mom to use anyway. I don't use them often but I like having a few (like 10 or so) to choose from.
This quilt was made by Wanda. Her use of color and value is, in my opinion, perfect. I added the hand dyed border to bring it up to size and I love the black and white print for the binding.
This one got a "scrap" piece of hand dyed fabric for the back. I love the texture and the blues and purples tie in to the front of the quilt.
This last one is the scrap quilt that I made. It's 100% hand dyed fabric. I loooooooooooooove this quilt but I hope they do not give it to anyone who is susceptible to vertigo. It could cause problems.
For the back I used a Sugar Maple gradient that I dyed for another project and never used. I love that fabric never really expires. Even if it's ugly it can be overdyed and made new again.
These are ready for labels and a wash before heading off to their new owners. Now it's time to start on a batch for Christmas 2013!