See Reverse (one side)
48 x 57
See Reverse (another side)
Which is the front?
This quilt started several years ago when I bought a bundle of Lakehouse fabrics. It seems that I finished the top and dyed the backing in July 2010 but I think I cut out the quilt as early as 2007. The dyed backing was one of my early attempts at color matching and, I think I did a pretty darned good job!
I have no idea what I will use the quilt for. I think it's a bit big for a baby quilt but it could be a toddler play mat or I could just hang it downstairs near Willie and enjoy it myself for a while.
What brought it to the forefront to be quilted is that I have a large quilt that I want to quilt from the back but I was not sure if my planned method would work and decided to try it on this smaller quilt first. It worked a treat! When I load the larger quilt I'll take some photos and show you what I did.
I also thought this would be a great opportunity to practice some filler quilting and I certainly did get a lot of practice.
Overall I am very happy with the quilt. I was hoping that the different colors of the quilted spirals would show more in the pieced side of the quilt. Aside from the dark pink, all of the other colors blend in. In the end that might actually be better but I know the next time to choose a darker thread if I want the quilting to show better. I meticulously matched the thread to the spiral and the pieced fabric colors and, of course, the result was a lot of blending in. I know that's not a surprise to anyone except me!
I quilted 5 filler stitches. There were days when filler quilting drove me insane and other days when is was the most relaxing thing int he world to do. The first one I did was this paisley and I enjoyed it.
Next I did this echoed hook. I liked quilting it OK but it's the least favorite effect on the quilt. The threads for the quilt are an assortment of Superior Highlights, Superior Artist Colors, Superior Bottom Line on the pieced side (bobbin) and, in the needle, an assortment of rayon or acrylic or polyester embroidery threads that I picked up at a great price several years ago. I have about 75 colors and I use them a lot. THe pink was the only one that gave me any trouble at all.
I did the orange spiral third. I love the effect of the quilting but I never felt like I got a good rhythm going. One thing I did learn through the process is that I have to quilt slower....which isn't really slow at all. I have a tendency to move too fast. It messes up the tension and I tend to make more mistakes. By slowing down I did very little frogging on this quilt.
Surprisingly this design turned out to be my favorite. I loved quilting these little Baptist fans.
In the purple I quilted one of Leah Day's designs, the Pointy Paisley...thanks to a blog comment. I was saved from pebbles and I really like the effect of this design. If you are interested in free motion quilting and you have not yet visited Leah's website then leave here and go there now. She has an amazing amount if information and loads of design ideas.
In the end this was a perfect project. I learned new things, improved my skills and another UFO is done!