Every now and then it's good to just do a fun little side project and that's what these placemats are. It started when I saw the new Wonky quilts that Wanda is making. I have a container of batik strips and I thought it would be fun to make some placemats like this. On my way to the batik container I happened upon the leftovers from this quilt and decided to use those instead. I decided to foundation piece them onto my backing and batting (flannel sheeting).
Hmmmm. Not so great. Now I am never afraid to toss out a failed project but I wondered if I couldn't do something to salvage this one.
I have boxes of trims from my garment sewing days and I found this cool black and white trim. I soaked it in hot water to pre-shrink it and then stitched it down (after it was dry, of course) to frame the center of the placemat. Then I did some very wonky quilting on the frame.
A black binding finished it off.
I liked them enough to make a set of 4. Chris says these will be great winter placemats and I agree. I like them a lot!