Another UFO bites the dust! I started this quilt a few years ago. It's one of 3 Snail's Trail quilts I made to figure out the largest block that I could make from a fat quarter. I eventually created a baby quilt version that produced 2 smaller blocks from each fat quarter. The top has been languishing for a while just waiting for a border. I had planned a hideously complex border but apparently that wasn't going to happen.
When I decided to dedicate an hour a day to quilting I went through all of my tops a considered what to do with them. This one is so manly that I thought it would be good for a QOV quilt and now it's finally going to a good home and will no longer languish unloved in my sewing room.
Now this quilt is nothing to write home about (except for the fact that it's DONE and we all know how rare that is) but I do want to talk about the quilting a bit. This is for any of you who are new to longarm quilting or to using rulers in your quilting.
I wanted to do something quilk on this quilt like I did on the veteran's quilt but I also wanted to play off the dots in the fabrics of this quilt. So I did some contour quilting with circles. I will admit that after the first hour I looked at what I did and I almost ripped it out. Thank goodness for laziness. But the next day I was able to convince myself that it was OK and would look fine after the quilt was washed.
After it was done I realized that this would be a great technique for beginner quilters to practice ruler work. I quilted it in free motion lines and periodically added a circle like in this diagram.
Like this. I know, it's a hideous mess from a design perspective bit it looks OK done. I used 4 different sizes of circles (because that's what I had). THe best part about this for a newbie is that you don't have to fix your mistakes. Just keep going and try to do control your template better on the next one.
is sewing the label on the quilt. It doesn't take all that long to do but I do find it to be a chore. The quilt is done already.....except that it's not.
Since I've been doing so much quilting lately it means that there's a stack of quilts to label and I decided to work on that today.
I've tried many different methods of quilt labeling and I do occasionally label a quilt by writing on it with a Pigma pen but msot of my labels are printed on Bubble Jet Set treated fabric. I like this method because I can easily add photographs to the quilt label. Most often I used an image from the front of the quilt but sometimes I use clipart or other photograph as the background for my label.
I also like to wait until I have 2 labels to do so that I don't waste a sheet of fabric.
After the label has been washed, pressed and trimmed to 3/8" around the image, I back the omage part with a piece of white fabric. This is to keep the backing fabric from showing through. I fuse some Mistyfuse to one side of white fabric and cut a piece the size of the image and fuse it in place.
Next I fold under the raw edges and use another piece of Mistyfuse over the whole back of the label. This holds down the edges lets you fuse the label in place on the back fo the quilt.
I like fusing the labels in place so I don't have to bother with pins when I'm sewing it down. I prefer Mistyfuse because it doesn't add any bulk to an already bulky area of the quilt.
Before I get into today's quilt designs I wanted to share a customer order for some fabric from the Monarch palette.
The customer is going to use the Urban Cabin pattern from Atkinson Designs. I created the 3 yard gradient with green on each end for her to use as the border and the 20 fat quarters in a variety of patterns for the blocks. The point of sharing this is to let you know that it's the colors that are on sale. I can dye the fabric for you in almost any way you wish! So if you have a pattern in mind that you would like to do in a color palette I'll be ahppy to help you figure out the right fabric designs for it.
You can always buy the basics from my shop but I can do a wide variety of custom orders for you as well.
Today's designs are based on a block called Raspberry Cheesecake.
The first 2 versions use only the block and the gradient as a border.
Next I decided on a medallion format and added the Geometric Star 4 Stripe block.
Fianlly, another medallion with a large version of the Flower Star block as the center.
Anne gave me a couple of GO! dies for Christmas. One of them was the Heather Feather. Here it is April and I had not used it yet so I challenged myself to use it for my Color Palette Challenge project.
As if you could forget...the palette is based on Judy's moldy pie!
Here's my project. I've decided that I want covers for my sewing machines. They get so dusty in my sewing room. This month I'm covering the Pfaff. This cover is open on the right side. I did that because I often use thread from a cone so I use the thread stand. With the cover open on that side I will not need to unthread the machine to use the cover which increases it's chance of being used.
The cover isn't quilted. It's a simple cloth dust cover. I used my serger to finish the raw edges on the inside and for the hem. I cut one set of shapes from each of my 5 colors and just had fun arranging them on the cover. This is totally fused. I didn't even sew them down since I know it's not likely to be washed any time soon (or ever).
For a quick project I think it turned out kind of cute and it shows that it's not a bad color palette after all and doesn't make me think of mold either.