The most recent 3 Creative Studios swap theme was Buried Treasure. For once, I actually got mine in the mail on time. Just barely!
One of these days I will announce a theme only after I decide on a design. You would think that is what I do but, in reality, I go through the same design process as everyone else.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to try Donna Funnel's collage technique while she was the 3 Creative Studios Guest Artist.
To make the collage journal quilt, I dug into this treasure chest. This is where I shove all of my leftover bits of pre-fused fabrics. After making that journal quilt, I decided that the contents of this drawer could be considered "buried treasure". Thus was born the idea of making my cards from ONLY the contents of this drawer.
Plus it was getting way too full and needed to be culled a bit.
I started with 2 sheets of Timtex. On one I fused lots of bits of blue fabrics. The other has black, brown and orange bits.
Next I stitched densely over both sheets to hold everything down. I was able to use up a lot of some old thread and about 10 bobbins on these! Then I cut each sheet into 10 postcards.
I didn't have enough of any fabric to do a common design on all of the cards so I put things together as best as I could.
I free-form cut out all fo the shapes, fused everything down and did some top stitching. The cards were finished off with a fused backing fabric and serged edge. (I emptied one spool of thread with that!)
Here are a few detail photos. In the end, I don't think they are my best work. The rule to work only from that drawer of fused C.R.A.P. (creative resources and projects), really limited me. They aren't the worst cards I've ever made either!
When I was done I tossed a lot of the remaining CRAP in the garbage where it should have been in the first place!