Last week I shared this quilt with you. Mom and I cut this and 2 other kits from my fabric stash to make quilt kits. We used my Go! Tumbler die and cut 200 tumblers for each quilt (13 tumblers per row and 15 rows). I think it makes a great quilt for a charity quilt.
Today I posted at 3 Creative Studios about how I deal with news stress like the events in Japan. I have to accept that I can only do so much (donate money) to help those who are suffering. But I can use my "worry energy" in other ways to help people close to home. After all, there is always someone in need.
I decided that I would cut 4 more of these kits. Two for my Guild Chapter to sew on their community service sewing day in May and two for another group where I donate a lot of my scrap quilting fabrics. They make quilts for local, state and international charities.
The first step was to pick fabric and cut tumbler blocks. The fabrics for this kit came mostly from a single fabric line. I bought the fat quarter set at a quilt show several years ago. It has lots of bright, happy colors. You can get 6 tumbler blocks from a fat quarter. I fold and cut the fat quarter so that there is a wide middle strip left over. From those I cut 2.25" strips that they can piece together for the binding. All of this goes in a Ziplock bag for the kit.
But there are a TON of scrap pieces left from one of these kit cutting sessions.
Since I bought the fabrics, I certainly liked them so I decided on a small project for msyelf. I sewed some of the scraps into long rows, added some hand dyed fabrics and made 4 placemats! That's a surprise, isn't it?
I already had 4 hand dyed napkins that matched.
I wanted to have some fun with the quilting. I chalked lines across the quilt for every seam line in the strip section and then quilted over the chalked lines with variegated thread. I really like these a lot and I'm glad to have a little project for myself to remind me of the fabrics.
But there were more scraps!
I pulled out the Go! Value die and cut as many 4.5" and 2.5" squares as I could. I will give these to one of the sewing groups too.
I sewed every leftover sewable piece together into 12 5.5" crumb blocks and then took every other bit of scrap and made them into 2 confetti sheets. I did these confetti sheets on a piece of old fabric and decided to make these with some thought and planning. I used all of the purple, red and dark blue pieces on an 18" square and the yellow, green and light blue on a 9 x 18 peice of fabric. For the moment they are fused in layers with Mistyfuse with a layer of tulle fused on top. Once I come up with a project I will do some decorative stitching to quilt the layers together. By doing these on fabric, instead of stiff interfacing, I have more options for how I uses these sheets later.
I don't know what I will do with the crumb blocks yet either, but at least they are not in the trash!
On to the next set of fabrics! I hope I will have a noticeable dent in my stash when these 4 kits are done.