Ten or 15 years ago I was primarily a garment sewist. I loved tailoring suits and making evening wear. But at some point I found a line of clothing that I liked to wear for work and I discovered that with quilt making I could use colors that I didn't wear (everything other than black) and there was no fitting involved.
Since I quit work, I've had an interest in starting to make some casual clothes. When I made the Coleus gradient I knew that I wanted to make something from it. A sleeveless blouse seemed perfect.
I really like the effect of the gradient on this blouse and can see myself making more garments like this. I placed the pattern so that the waist aligned in the center yellow band of color. That means that the darkest green band is not included. I used the darkest red for the collar. The pattern is placed on the cross grain but that didn't cause any problems.
I've joked about my vast button collection before. I don't have a lot of small buttons but I had at least 6 different styles/colors to choose from!
The pattern is Kwik Sew 3668 and it should be a simple project. Well, it is for most people. However, I require a LOT of pattern alterations. It's one reason I selected a sleeveless pattern first. Getting the bodice to fit was enough without having to deal with sleeves. How much fitting? Basically I am size XS in the neck and shoulders, S in the back and M with a large bust adjustment for the front. I have sloping shoulders and my head sits a little forward. There were lots of dart changes. When I make knit garments I actually cut the front and back in different sizes and ease in the different. It works!
For this project I used my favorite pattern alteration book, Fitting and Pattern Alteration. I was shocked to see how much it sells for now but I certainly wouldn't sell my copy for $100! I use that book every time I sew and every time I help someone else fit a garment.
When I make a new garment pattern, I ALWAYS make a test garment for fitting. That's how I got this tacky print blouse. I still needed to alter the pattern some after I made the test garment but I finished it so it is wearable too. I just won't wear it outside of the house! It's a linen blend from my old garment fabric stash so it's good to have one less fabric in that cabinet......although you can't tell tha tanything is missinng.
In the end, all that extra work was worthwhile because my Coleus blouse fits perfectly! Now if only we could get some warm weather so I can wear it.