I promise that this is the last you will see of the Pine Boughs palette - I have used every single scrap! The base for my journal quilt is the same collage fabric that I psoted about yesterday.
I decided that I wanted to do some freem motion stitching practice on it. Since I really can't draw anything original I found this image in a Dover Book and used it as a guild. The book is American Wildflowers Iron-On Transfers.
I shold have selected a different thread color because this one isn't showing well enough. But, it's done!
Last weekend I pulled together that rest of the Pine Boughs fabrics and, once again, challenged myself to use all of them! I used some on my stamp folio and a few more on the scrap cards. I also used them on my last 2 journal quilts.
Here's what I did with the rest.
I used the best of the sunflower screen images to make these 2 placemats.
I took some of the fabrics and cut them with my Go! Cutter.
I do this with a lot of my project scraps. Some day I will take these pieces and make some charm quilts.....or something.
Then I decided to do something with the trash. I started by fusing some of the bigger chunks to a piece of fabric. I always use Mistyfuse for these types of projects because I will fuse several layers and Mistyfuse really helps to control the bulk so that I can sew through it.
Then I fused the strips and teeny tiny bits. I added a layer tulle and did some quilting through all layers. Finally I had some peices of screen printed fabrics left. I added Mistyfuse to the back of them and then ran them through the Go Cutter with the circle die. I fused and sewed the circles to the collage.
Please don't think I went into this with any sort of plan. I just started fusing stuff together. I was surprised that I liked what I got in the end! Now I had to figure out what to do with it though.
I used part for my journal quilt that you will see tomorrow.
I used most of it to make this lined zipper bag and the last little bit for a Passport folio.
The last tiny bits were tossed outside for the birds to use for nest materials.
I am trying to start doing more exploratory dyeing each week. Right now the focus will be different shibori techniques. Last week I decided to start with the Lynne Caldwell Shibori book because it's a beginner book. A lot of what I do is technically shibori but I haven't done a lot of clamping, pole wrapping (arashi) or stitched.
Sometimes, when trying new techniques, it's a good idea to only do one sample so that when it doesn't turn out right you have lost too much time!
This shirt is a great example. I actually tied beads.....about 20 of them...around the neckline of this shirt! This is the second time this poor shirt has been dyed. It will probably get some screen printing or something else next.
Here's another loser and I'm not sure why this one didn't work. I folded this peice of previously tea dyed fabric down to about a 5" square. I then clamped on washers and clothes pins (see the square in the top left). The problem was that the fabric WOULD NOT absorb the dye. It wouldn't absorb water for that matter. I know this fabric was washed after it was dyed so I don't know what happened here. This one has some painting treatments in it's future too.
These two beauties look great as normal mottled dyed fabric. That would be really cool if I had not spent a lot of time stitching motifs in them! The one on the left was done in a grid and the one on the right was done in oval shapes.
I laughed out loud when I saw these results. They are good candiates for more treatments this week.
But there were some winner too.
These two turned out pretty good. The one on the left was made by clamping with Propel bottle caps. Because the clamps would not hold the caps flat I got these neat half-moon shapes. The other is pole wrapped and I'm pretty happy with it.
This one was folded and clamped with 2 acrylic retangle pieces. The last one is folded in 8ths from the center and then string was wrapped around it.
I told you last week that I was on another of my scrap project missions. I used some of my Pine Boughs fabrics for the pocketed notebook covers. When that was done I couldn't put the fabrics away. For these first 2 projects I didn't use a lot of fabric but I did finally get to use some feathers from my collection!
I started with the postcard to send as a Get Well card to a friend. Since I pulled out my wavy rotary blade a couple of months ago I seem to want to use it all the time now! This card was so simple. I stated with a screen printed packground, fused on the blue rectangle, placed the feather and covered it with a piece of plastic. I cut narrow strips of the brown print to make a frame. I trimed the plastic after I sewed the frame. The double edging is fused and then topstitched.
That's a Blue Jay fealther that I found on a walk through the neighborhood recently.
You know I love making note cards and I keep a supply of blank ones around. These were part of a box of multicolored cards. I was surprised to see that the colors come in sets of 5. These are just fused layers with Blue Jay and Pheasant feathers. The feathers are held in place with a strip of fused fabric and a little topstitching.
Here's a close up so you can see the feathers and the minimal stitching that I did. I'm glad I'm finally using some of my feather collection!