16 x 20
This is the 6th in the Fiberactions challenge series. This is actually my first full kaleidoscope in the series. I really enjoyed making it. As I said on the Fiberactions post, I was making this one to look less like a star (with sharp points) and more like a flower blooming.
Thsi kaleidoscope is made up of 8 wedges. Each wedge is made completely and then the wedges are sewn together. This is a close up of one wedge with the seam lines highlighted. There are 30 individual pieces of fabric in each wedge, 240 in the whole kaleidoscope.
I put a sample of each fabric I used on the back. One of the fabrics (in the lower left corner) was used for two motifs. All of the others were used only once.
After I finished it I just couldn't love the 16 x 20 format. I posted it in this format on the Fiberactions blog but, after pondering it a bit, I turned it into
Now I love it.
Had I known that I was going in this direction I would have saved the quilt back to use for the pillow back. I had some silk shantung in my stash to use for the piping and
some Ultrasuede for the back. All-in-all, it's a pretty "expensive" pillow from a time investment. I don't usually make or use pillows but I will use this one!