where I prove that Cracker Box Kits are almost indestructible. I haven't made a lot of progress on any of my handwork projects because I have been busy with other stuff. I thought I'd work on it a bit during one of the football games this weekend.
At some point in the game the ornament suddenly jumped away from me and landed 10 feet across the room! Amazingly, not one bead or pin was lost.
I put it safely away after that and this is as far as I have gotten. This week I will be working on my applique.
What do you do when you have a million things on your to-do list? Ignore it and strart something completely different and new.
I was being a good girl and working on my list yesterday when I opened the refrigerator and saw the package of unprocessed screens in the door that I bought a few months ago. The sun was shining so it made sense to spend a few hours making some new screens.
I really like the screens from EZScreen. The emulsion process is already done. I bought regular and hi-res screens. 4 of them turned out great and 2 were duds. Really big duds. It had nothing to do with the screens and everything to do with me not following instructions.
I started with a couple of screens of Birthday and Christmas greetings to use on postcards. Those worked great. I did one big screen with an image that will work great for a background. It's the one in the top left and this is a small section of it. My failures came on some screens where I was trying to get some detail images. I think I set my expectations too high on the one that printed properly.
The screens are easy to make but it's really important to follow the directions! If you don't like the trouble of doing that, get Lynn to make screens for you. She has some great designs but also does custom screens with your artwork.
I get my images primarily from Dover books. They have so many great books and many of them have CDs included.
With my new fabric palettes being available for only one month, I thought I'd have a post each week that would show the fabrics in some projects. Some of the posts will be actual projects and sometimes the posts will be EQ quilt images using the colors from the palette.
Today I am sharing a few EQ quilt images. I imported photos of the fabric into EQ so you can see how the fabrics might work together in a quilt.
Here's the Sugar Maple palette and you can see the ordering information and images of the individual fabrics here and following are a few ideas for using these fabrics/colors.
I haven't figured out how to load my gradient fabric into EQ so the border of this one is intended to give the impression of the gradient fabric.
You would think that occasionally I could just do the "lite" version of things. It seems that when I start a thought process or new activity that I an genetically required to obsess over it for a while. Why did I have to obsess over scraps of all things?
I entered my sewing room yesterday with the intention of cleaning up from my Fiberactions challenge and moving on to another project.....that I wanted to have done by MONDAY.
Then I saw this fabric and didn't want to put it back in the symmetry stash. I didn't want to put it in the trash either.
It started taunting me.
It would not stay in the garbage bin.
Yes, you guessed it, I decided to see what I could make from it.
I started with big chunks and made coasters. I did a slightly different technique to make these.
A few are cut out whole (like the medallion) but for others I cut 4 mirror image pieces. I cut the coaster fabric to 4.5" and fused a 4" square of batting to the center. I then pressed the seam allowance to the back and fused on a piece of green felt cut to about 4 7/8". I used a gold metallic thread for the stitching. There are 2 rows of stitching all around the edges. One is very close to the edge and that holds that turned fabric in place, the second row is about 1/4" from the edge and that makes sure the felt is secured. Then I did a little stitching in the center to quilt it.
I made 12 of these in less than 4 hours and now I have hostess gifts.
Once I had cut every possible mirror image bit I was left with some random chunks. I fused some Mistyfuse to the back of them and cut a lot of strips. They are about 1/2" wide and 3.5 - 4" long.
Next I cut some green silk in squares about 4" and fused the back of those with Mistyfuse as well. I cut the green silk into strips and wove in the print strips (left in the photo). I added a piece of Pellon Craft Fuse to the back to stabilize the weave. Then I ran it through my Go! Cutter to make a perfect 3.5" circle.
Those circles became my next Christmas postcard design. I started with a piece of plain black fabric and painted it with some streaks of Gold metallic paint for the background. I fused the circle in place and stitched a buttonhole stitch around the ornament using gold metallic thread. It's finished off with a hanger made from couched metallic yarns.
I made 15 of those and now I have a 35 cards ready. I need about 40 more.
I had some weaving bits left so I fused them to index cards, cut out circles and rectangles, stitched on a bow and ties to make some gift tags!
Here's what's left and I swear that tomorrow I am going to throw this in the garbage.
I just couldn't do it tonight. Not yet. I could make more gift tags first or make a mixed media sheet for to make a Christmas notebook cover.
No, I'm going to throw them out. For sure. Tomorrow.