16 x 20
Let me start by saying that I am very unhappy with the end result of this piece, although the exercise was great for me and it's the experience of the challenge that is most important. This theme was the most challenging by far for me. (I don't think the next one, "transformation", is going to be much better either!) But that's the whole point, isn't it?
Why am I unhappy? The piece has no focus. I actually like it as a tapestry, but it has no focal point as "art".
BUT, more importantly, I probably have more ideas to explore from this one exercise than any of the others we have done. It's hard to see that from the piece itself, but it's true. In the end, it was a great "stretch" exercise. It stretched my understanding and development of symmetrical quilts and pushed my toward some new directions. In the end it was good!
For this quilt I used only 1 fabric! The background is made up of 80 2" squares and cut from the same motif on the fabric - except that the image is shifted 1/8" in each row. Each row is comprised of 4 mirror imaged pairs. I took the resulting design shape as inspiration for the overlay. I would have gotten closer to the effect I wanted if I could have used the fabric that I wanted but this fabric is the only one that had enough repeats.
Please go to the Fiberactions blog and see what the rest of the group members did!