I am almost embarrassed to tell you how late I was in getting these cards done (3 weeks). But, at least I did get them done and mailed. This card is for the May MQResource swap and the theme was "home". Tomorrow I will share with you the cards I received. The interpretations were very clever. Here's mine.
If I had known that I was going to get that great photo earlier this week I would have delayed on purpose! I knew I wanted to do a nest theme and this photo was perfect. Since I was so tardy, I thought I'd share a little tutorial of how I made them.
I started by printing sheets of my bird photo - enough for 15 cards. The photos were cropped to about 3.5" square. The nest materials are strips of hand dyed fabrics in about 8 different shades of brown. It's important tear these strips for the effect on this card. The strips vary in width, but are about 1". The cards and backs were pre-cut too.
Using kind of a crazy log cabin technique, start adding strips of fabric around the photo. When you rip fabric, sometimes the torn edge will curl in. I used that edge to my advantage by making it the edge next to the stitching with the curl facing up. I also used a brown variegated thread int he needle. That added a really nice effect. (I use almost anything in the bobbin. I emptied 6 partial bobbins just making these cards!)
Until the card is completely covered. Let the fabric hang over the edges as you sew.
I finished the card off by wrapping the strip to the front and top-stitching just like I did with the nest strips. It was totally an accident, but I really like the effect of this edge treatment. It's very finished on the back and organic looking on the front. I'll have to remember this one.