The Bluebirds have made a lot of progress in Box 3 and I expect we will have eggs in the next few days.
Box 1 is the big surprise. We have watched the Bluebirds and Tree Swallows fighting over this one and we expected to see a Tree Swallow nest. We were very surprised to find, what appears to be, a Carolina Chickadee nest. Maybe the Tree Swallows will nest in box 2 because there's nothing happening there at the moment.
This week's WWT on MQResource is all about regrouping and getting back on track with your goals. I've also posted a companion article on the 3 Creative Studios blog about how I get myself back on track.
When I posted my Communication piece on March 15 I was dealing with my back problems and was not able to give you the whole story of the quilt. To be completely honest, it wasn't totally finished either. I had gotten the quilting done on Saturday, the 13th, then my back checked out Saturday night and I did not sew again until earlier this week. I had not finished the binding when I posted the photo on the 15th. This weekend was devoted to finishing and here it is.
(You can click on any photos in the post to see them larger.)
16 x 20
In my professional life I spend a lot of time in
meetings. I often observe that no matter how often a group of people may meet,
there’s always misunderstanding and miscommunication.People come into meetings (or other
communications) with different perspectives and different levels of attention.
It’s always a challenge to get everyone on the same plane. My piece reflects
the variety of levels of participation and perspective in meeting situations.
The color patches are samples from each of 17 fabrics.
The kaleidoscope in Initiative is pieced. The kaleidoscopes in Communication are done with fusible applique. Every single piece is cut out and fused to the front of the quilt. In this detail shot the red flower, black chevron, blue wave and spike, pink point and gold/blue drape are all separate pieces.
Here's another detail shot. The center of the kaleidoscope is actually two pieces: the brown medallion and the yellow pieces fused on top.
Here are a couple of photos that will give you an idea of how I constructed this.
I added the kaleidoscopes as I constructed the quilt. This is what helps give the impression of the kaleidoscopes moving on different planes.
I built the kaleidoscopes on 45 degree wedges. I cut out on piece at a time and tried it on the wedge. I use hinged mirrors to see how the final design will look. Once I had something I liked, I glued the sample fabrics in place and then traced it onto template plastic.
Next I created a cartoon on parchment paper with an outline of the design into as many wedges as I needed. I fused Mistyfuse to the back of my fabrics before I cut out all of the tiny pieces. I would first fuse the kaleidoscope to this cartoon. It will not stick permanently to the parchment paper so I could peel the full kaleidoscope off the paper and then arrange it on the quilt top and then fuse it permanently in place. It was quite tedious so you know I loved it!
Now, it's time to change my focus to the Convergence quilt that is due in May.