I am showing this quilt in 2 forms, one is done with large scale prints and the other with t-shirts. In Part 1, I showed how I cut the large scale prints. In this part, we will start the t-shirt version.
The original version is based on a finished 12" square. The focus blocks are based on 3" increments. In that version, the cut size options, in inches, are:
- 3.5 x 3.5
- 3.5 x 6.5 (vertical or horizontal)
- 3.5 x 9.5 (vertical or horizontal)
- 6.5 x 6.5
- 6.5 x 9.5 (vertical or horizontal)
- 9.5 x 9.5
In a t-shirt version we can't rely on motifs that fit in a 9" square or smaller. The approach that I use for these is to cut motif as small as I can but to keep it in a 3" square (plus 1/2" seam allowance). So there might be blocks cut to:
- 9.5 x 12.5
- 6.5 x 12.5
- 12.5 x 18.5
- 15.5 x 15.5, etc
We aren't going to worry about fitting them all together at this point. Just stick to 3" increments.
I start every shirt by determining the proper finished size of the block. This particular motif fits well in a 6" finished square. Cut out the motif with at least a 1" margin larger on all sides.
Tshirt fabrics need to be stabilized. A medium or light weight interfacing will work well. I used a medium weight on these shirts because most of the are WELL worn and a tad bit thin. Cut a piece of interfacing about the size of the cut motif and fuse it to the back of the fabric.
I cut this motif to 6.5" square. I like to uses these ruler markers to help me properly center the motif on the fabric.
This block was cut about 12.5" square. One was cut 12.5 x 18.5. As I said, I don't worry about fitting them all together at this point.
Sometimes I leave pockets attached. I'll either sew or fuse the opening closed.
In this shirt, I wanted to use the emblem but the shirt is torn. I removed the emblem, cut the square from another area of the shirt, interfaced the cut piece and then sewed the emblem on the new interfaced square. If you interface the square first it stabilizes the fabric so that sewing the emblem will not stretch it out of shape.
Here's the repaired block.
and here are all of the blocks for Mitchell's quilt. A few of these were from woven shirts (the Boy Scout emblems and the Beach Luau). Those did not need to be interfaced.
I am making 2 of these memory quilts so I will cut the blocks for Cory's quilt next and then we will move on to step 3 where we will frame each of these.