I have been participating in a triptych challenge on the MQResource board. We were put into groups of three. Each person sent photos to the other two participants for interpretation. The finished pieces are 8.5" x 10.5". I'll be honest, I haven't even started my own piece but I will do it soon. I mailed both of my pieces today and I warned my partners that I was posting today so they wouldn't look if they wanted a surprise.
The first piece is based on this photo sent my Beth.
Here's my interpretation. Beth wanted the sailboat to be the focus. I used the same technique that I used for my Splash postcard. I had been wanting to do that technique again I knew it was perfect for this as soon as I saw the photo.
The sails are made of silk and they are padded with some batting to give them dimension and to keep the background from showing through.
Here's the photo that I received from Judy.
This one was more challenging for me. On my first attempt I tried to reproduce the photo. What a disaster - a funny disaster, but a complete and total disaster. Every time I showed it to Chris he just shook his head "no" and quietly went back to reading his book. I put that aside and slept on it. The next morning I had the solution and two nights later I had this.
It's the same yarn technique. The backgrounds of both pieces are made of layers of yarn arranged directly on batting. In this one I sliced the finished piece into diamonds, rearranged the pieces and zig-zagged them back together. the final step was couching black yarn over the seams.
In two days the next Take It Further Challenge will be posted. I will work on my own Triptych piece (my photos are doors) during February and it would be so nice if it fit the TIF theme or color palette! I'm also started the Art Quilt Workbook in February. I would say that I need to stop signing up for things but I do learn a lot through these exercises and challenges.