I didn't get much of anything else on the list completed but I got the Chinese Coins quilt top done. It turns out that I'm still a little sore so the laundry and this quilt top did me in for the day! That's OK though, I feel a lot better than I did Wednesday and I got to sew this weekend. All in all, a good weekend!
This quilt will be a QOV and it was a lot of fun to make. I already have more planned in my mind so I decided to document the dimension and basic instructions to have the notes for later. There are lots of ways to make these. In fact, I got the idea to do one from Mary. She has instructions for several different versions on her web site and she has made several of these for the Heartstrings Project. Here's how I did mine.
I'm not sure where I got the idea of using used dryer sheets* for foundations but it was from one of you talented people in blogland. That's what started me making these in the first place - that and a basket of leftover strings. I made about 40 foundation blocks before I ever started planning the quilt. I sewed random strips of fabric with a flip and sew technique to cover a dryer sheet. After the block is pressed, trim it to 6 x 8 1/2. This photo shows the front and back of two trimmed blocks. Make 56 of these blocks. Sew them into 7 rows of 8 blocks each - sewn together on the narrow end.
Here's the layout. I'm showing this one in blue and brown because I have a pretty blue/brown batik that I want to use for the next CC quilt border. I think it would look nice to do all of the coins in shades of blue.
You need about 1.5 yards of the border fabric and about 1 1/4 yards of the sashing fabric. The sashing strips are cut 2 1/5 inches wide and I needed about 16 strips. Sew all of the coin strip together with sashing in between and on each side of the whole center unit. The sashing strips will be about 64 1/2" long - depending on your seam allowances. Next add the top and bottom sashing strip (about 55" long).
The border fabric is cut 6" wide and you need 7 or 8 strips. I added mine to the sides first and then the top and bottom. I did not miter this border but I would if the border print called for it.
* I thought the dryer sheet foundation was a good idea and it worked really well to keep the blocks square but I am not sure I would do it that way again. The dryer sheets really dull the sewing machine needle quickly. I'll ponder this before I start the next one.