Today I made two new batches of soap. I've made both of these before but I made modifications to the recipes. So don't try them yourself until you see me post a results update in a few weeks. With these recipes I also calculated the approximate cost per bar.
***Updated: December 2007 - the Cocoa Butter recipe worked out great. I like the changes and will make this one again. I haven't tried the Basic soap yet.
***Updated March 2008 - the Basic Soap recipe has a terrific lather. I think I need to give it a sexier name so people will be enticed to make it!
Friday night and Saturday were incredibly productive. The best part was Mom and my Aunt visiting to pick up the quilt. We went to my favorite LQS and I only bought the one piece of fabric that I went there for! I was tempted but maintained control. Here's how I'm doing on my list...
The Art Nouveau Self Portrait postcard saga is finally over!
You're asking yourself - what's the "self portrait"???? My intention was to reflect my creative self (too many ideas - the leaves and too few completed projects - the flowers) and I found this image in 4000 Flower and Plant Motifs. Today while Mom was visiting we decided that the process of making this card really reflected my personality - anal, obsessive and close to the edge of insanity!
Here's how I made this little piece of insanity (15 times). I scanned the image from the book and used Photoshop to clean up the edges (that took about 3 hours). I explained how I selected the colors here. I printed 15 copies of the image on fabric and then colored them with Prismacolor pencils. That probably took about 2 hours for each card. Next I sealed the color with textile medium as explained here. Finally I stitched around all of the black lines (about 30 minutes each), fused the backing on and serged the edges - about 1 hour all together. And here they are done - 25 days late! To my fellow swappers, these will finally be in the mail to you Monday.
Here are the other cards that I have received in the self portrait swap:
I am still plugging away at the "Art Nouveau Self Portrait" postcards. The motif is from a clip art book, printed on fabric and colored with Prismacolor pencils. The coloring process to DAYS! Next was sealing with textile medium. I tried all three of these and even mixed a couple of them together. I wound up using the Delta Ceramcoat for the green and pink areas and used the JoSonja for the blue - the JoSonja was easiest to apply in the detail areas around the motif. I mixed all of them with PearlEx powder - I was trying to get a stained glass look. We'll see how it all turns out when they are done. 1 down, 14 to go. the green fabric above is one of my new hand dyed fabrics that I am using for the backing.