I'm watching the PBS series Craft in America tonight while working on my two sets of postcards. I've finished the "earth" card. I wish I had taken photos of the steps but I'll do my best to describe what I did...
After I finished the Summer postcards yesterday morning I spent the afternoon playing with two other postcard designs. I'll report on those later - when they are done. But I also got this quick postcard and music pillowcase made for my cousin's son, Clay. We don't know where the music gene originated in our family but that generation seems to have a lot of music talent. Clay plays drums in his high school band. I used the leftover gray/red/black fabrics from my nephew's quilt because Clay's room is primarily red and black. I really like doing something quick occasionally!
I also signed up for the Mixed Media class and ordered my supplies - what fun!
I made 3 of each style. I cut the background out of the fused sheets. The ric rac used for the stem and hill is from a batch that I hand-dyed a couple of years ago. The flowers and green leaves are cut from purchased hand-dyed fabrics and fused after the stems were sewn down. The center of the flower is made using eyelash yarn. I cut a piece about 6" long, wound it into a coil and sewed it down with clear thread. I added a large hotfix crystal in the center of the flower. To help the crystal stick, I use the tip of my iron to press in the center of the yarn. that makes a pretty smooth and flat surface for the crystal to stick. The crystals on the leaves are some tiny crystals that were left over from my winter postcard. I placed them on the two leaves with tweezers and then carefully cover the leaves with a press cloth. I can then use the iron to fuse the crystals on both leaves at once. If I had to place and fix each one individually using the wand, I'd never do it! These were lots of fun to make.
I got a little side tracked off of the list today and yesterday! I did finish getting my Snails Trail class stuff together and that leaves the Indygo Junction Jacket and the Carol Taylor class project. I've decided to skip both of those for now. The jacket is for autumn and I'm not very interested in the class project - so I'm movin' on!
I have 3 sets of fabric postcards to make this week so I looked at this
and decided that it would be the base of my cards.