The primary reason that I am taking the tea dyeing class is that I wanted to tea dye some really ugly blocks and my original attempts have failed. After my sample dyeing this weekend I was ready to dye the blocks. I decided to use coffee instead of teas on these but I did get the effect that I wanted. The coffee smell was so strong that it almost made me sick! In the end, it was worth it.
First, understand that these blocks are ugly before and after! I make blocks even out of my last chance scraps. I got this idea from an article in American Quilter magazine a few years ago and the technique was called "mile-a-minute quilts". I made my blocks a little differently but they are basicall just all of the scraps sewn together randomly - almost a crazy quilt patch. I decided to make them and use them to try different setting arrangements. I made 3 sets of blocks: black/white/red, brights and blue/gold/tan. Here's the first quilt that I made like this. My scrap bin is already overflowing again!
The blue/tan/gold blocks are going to be set with navy blue fabric in sort of a streak of lightening setting. But the blocks were just too bright and that's why I wanted to dye them. I like the results although they don't show well in the photo - trust me, it worked! Here's the photo - before on top. Now they go back in the bin to be made later. Meanwhile, I found a bolt of muslin that was given to me a few months ago. I prewashed it last night, ripped it into 17 1-yard pieces and will start tea-dyeing it this week. I think I have just enough teas here at home to dye all of this yardage different colors!